Thursday 7 July 2016

THE BRIDE CHAPTER 35

The Bride
Chapter 35

If
you love someone, the greatest gift you can give
them is your presence.
–Thich Nhat Hanh
Francesca Marcolini’s POV
This was supposed to be an ordinary day for me at
the office. But a package that was delivered to my
home and a single phone call changed everything.
My eyes misted with tears on my ride to my
destination as I recalled the event earlier this
morning…
“There is a package for you, Signora.” My
housekeeper said with a box in her hands as I ate my
breakfast. “It has no sender I just found it outside
your door.”
“Oh?” Curious about the parcel in my housekeeper
had just presented to me. For a moment I thought
that someone just playing prank on me. But then
again, it might come from Marco who has an
overseas trip yesterday.
That man loves surprises.
I smiled slightly at the thought that this is Marco’s
surprise for me. I took the mysterious package from
my housekeeper and opened it like a child opening
her gift on Christmas day.
I frowned when I saw a USB flash drive, a red
colored necktie and a black credit card owned by
Marco. I couldn’t prevent my smile any longer.
What is this plan of his? I asked myself silently.
“Can you please get my laptop in my room?” I asked
my housekeeper with a tamed smile on my face. I
am so excited to see what’s inside the USB.
“Certainly, Signora.” My housekeeper went to my
room to get my laptop. I drink my freshly squeezed
orange juice. I traded my favored coffee for breakfast
so it will not harm my baby. I am starting to
experience morning sickness.
I have not yet consulted a doctor for my condition
but that’s the thing I want to discuss with Marco
once he got home from his business trip.
“Here’s your laptop, ma’am.”
“Thank you.” I smiled at my housekeeper as I took
the laptop and start it to life. After a few seconds I
inserted the flash drive to my laptop’s USB port and
waited for my computer to read it. When it was
finally okay I look at the content of the flash drive and
saw a single file. I clicked it to open as video player
starts to read it.
My heart stopped beating in my chest when the
video started to play. I am sure my eyes were just
playing trick on me. My nerves were shaking my
brain refused to translate what my eyes had been
telling me.
This is a nightmare!
No, worst than a nightmare.
My hands instinctively few to my mouth to cover
my shock.
Marco…
He’s tied up in a chair with a lamp over his head with
two hooded guys in his side. He’s eyes were blind-
folded. His surrounding was very dark like an old
abandoned building. Even his feet tied together so he
couldn’t escape. He wore his favorite gray Armani
suit he still look debonair but his necktie was
noticeably missing.
I looked at the ruby colored tie inside the box. This
must be his tie they took it from him so they can
send it to me along with this video. I can’t breathe as
if something was crushing my heart right this
moment. Who did this kind of evil things to him?
I will die if something bad happened to him.
*
couldn’t bear it.
“Speak now!” The man behind the camera snarled at
him.
“Who are you?” Marco asked bravely even though
he’s in that kind of situation. He’s at the mercy of
those thugs who kidnapped him. “What do you
want from me?”
What did they want from him? I asked myself too.
Money? Of course, money.
“Say it on the camera that they should follow
everything I say or something bad will happen to
you.”
“As if, I can see the camera.” Marco muttered
sarcastically.
“Say it!” The man snarled chillingly as the man beside
Marco pulled a gun and pointed it on Marco’s head.
Oh dear God! Don’t irate your abductors. I want to
smack his head.
“No,” Marco said stubbornly. God, what was with
this man! “I will not say that.”
I don’t think I can bear to watch it. I’d die repeatedly if
I continue to watch it. When I was about to closed
the video my mobile phone rang. I looked at the
screen and it was unknown number.
“Hello?” I said shakily, I couldn’t summon my voice
to calm.
“Did you receive the surprise I sent to you?” The
frightening voice sounded on the other line.
“What do you want?” I asked as I stood abruptly in
my chair. “How much money do you want? I’m
willing to pay you. Just give the figures.”
He laughed harshly that made my blood chill. “I don’t
want money, Signora. I want you to do something
for me.”
“Anything.” I answered without heartbeat. I will do
anything to save Marco. My eyes misted with tears
but I need to be strong for him.
“First, you can’t call the cops or something will
happen to the man you love.”
“I promised.” I agreed to his condition.
“Good.” He said with satisfaction. “Just do what I told
you and I will not harm him. First, I need you to buy
a beautiful evening gown with the black card in the
box and wait for my next instruction. Remember I
am watching you one wrong move he’s dead. bring
that red necktie if you want to see Marco Orsini
again.”
Before I could reply the phone call ended.
I slid out of cab and hastily went inside the posh
boutique to buy a new dress. I randomly selected
what I thought will be beautiful enough without really
scrutinizing the design. My sole purpose is to save
Marco from those thugs.
My mobile phone sounded again after purchasing the
evening dress. “Are you done with the dress?” He
asked once I hit the answer button. I looked around I
could swear that he’s just near to me watching my
move.
“Yes…” I swallowed hard, leaving from the famous
boutique.
“Now buy a new pair of heels to match that gown.”
“What is this for?” I asked with a frowned as I
scanned for my favorite shoe shop in the lane. “Why
do I need to buy these things?”
“I said no question.” The man snarled before
disconnecting the phone call.
I sighed and do what he told me to do. I went inside
my favorite designer shoe boutique. The saleslady
asked me if what size of shoes that I want. Then it
occurred to me that Marco’s kidnapper didn’t say
anything. So I decided to go for my shoe size.
*
After that I waited for his call when I went out of the
shoe boutique.
“Go to the nearest beauty salon and have a
makeover in your appearance wore that dress and
shoes.”
I did what he told me without question this time. But
I can’t not help to think why would I need to wear
this dress for what reason? But if this is the only
way to save Marco so be it.
Once I am at the salon I tried to calm myself as I
have my hair and makeup done. Praying earnestly to
the Almighty to make Marco safe for our unborn
child. When I was done and I wore the things he told
me to buy I exited the beauty salon and waited for
his phone call.
“See that black sedan across the street?” He asked
without preamble once I answered the call. “Ride that
thing if you want to see the man you love.”
I followed his instruction without any question. I
don’t think my legs will carry me properly as I
silently prayed for our safety. I slid inside the luxury
interior of the car and I shivered slightly when the
driver closed the door firmly. My heart pounded so
loudly I need to be strong for our baby.
After an hour or so of the gruesome drive the car
finally pulled in the dock and the driver gestured me
to ride that dark yacht. My heels clicked in the
wooden floorboard I am beyond terrified at this
moment. This is not the incident I want to repeat in
my lifetime.
What if I will die her without seeing Marco? I asked
myself silently. Stop thinking negative, Francesca.
I ascended in the stair of the yacht I am shaking
badly. I need to hold at the iron railing for support.
“Marco?” I called out once I was on the dark deck of
the ship. “Marco? Are you here? Please answer me,
per favore! Marco!”
“Francesca.” My heart leaped at the familiar sound of
his voice.
“Marco—” The words died in my mouth when the
pitch black surrounding lit with illumination. The
almost abandoned ship glow with beauty.
And there he was standing in front of me without of
fleck in his suit. My eyes instantly narrowed. “Aren’t
you supposed to be kidnap, Marco?”
“Don’t you like it?” He asked as he started to walk
towards me. “The lady rescued her prince? A nice
variation in the story beside the prince rescued the
lady in those fairy tales.”
I stared at him in stun silence. I threw the shoe I’ve
been wearing in his direction. “B-----d! You don’t
know the fear I’ve suffered when I realized that I’ve
been abducted.”
“Francesca…” He said with a laughed. “I’m so sorry,
darling. I just want to surprise you. I want to give
you a unique engagement proposal.”
“What’s with that horrible video?” I asked as the tears
threatened to fall in my eyes.
He hugged me tightly to comfort me. I should have
shoved him away but being in his arms felt so well.
In a moment I will push him away—in a moment. “I
have this friend who is an award winning director I
asked him to help me stage that video. If you just
know how many takes I did before my acting can be
convincing. I laughed in the middle of my lines.”
“You are horrible.” I sniffed as I clutch the back of his
suit.
“I s----d at acting, I know.”
“Idiot.” I said with a snort. “You are horrible as
person that’s what I meant.”
“That’s harsh, my love.” He drew back to look at me.
Marco released me from his arms and took a step
backward. “Fortunately, for you I have a question to
ask.”
*
What—”
He suddenly kneeled in front of me. “So Francesca,
darling.” He said kissing my hand. “I have your
mother’s permit to ask you a very important
question.” He fished out something in his pocket. My
heart pounded loudly in my chest as he opened a
small velvet box. “I know I am not the perfect man
but I am sure as hell will try to be the best husband
for you. Will you marry me Francesca? Will you give
me the chance to try to make you happy, my
darling?”
Now tears officially fell in my eyes. “Y-yes…”
The happiness in his eyes was the sight I will
treasure in my life forever. He slipped the diamond
solitaire engagement ring on my left hand. He stood
and kissed me sweetly in the lips—our very first
kissed as engaged couple.
“I love you, Francesca.”
Before I could answer him fireworks ricocheted in
the dark sky. “I love you too, Marco.”
He kissed me again. “This is our first day to forever.

To be continued

No comments: