Thursday 7 July 2016

THE BRIDE CHAPTER 33

The Bride
Chapter 33

Health is not valued till sickness comes.
-Thomas Fuller
Francesca Marcolini’s POV
It’s been a week since my dinner date with Marco.
Ever since that day he gave me a bouquet of flowers
and a beautiful dress almost every day I find a gift in
my office. Those gifts weren’t that expensive as I first
thought.
From office pillows, personalized mug and one time
he gave me a picture frame with a picture of him in
it. There is a message inside the box to place the
picture frame in my office table so whenever I
missed him I will just have to look at his picture.
I shook my head as I pulled out my drawer to peek
at the picture frame with his model like pose image
beneath the glass cover. I smiled like an idiot his ego
was really over the top.
I am patiently waiting in my office for him to arrive.
He promised me two days ago when we last met
that he will treat me lunch today. I glanced at my
wristwatch it’s almost 11 a.m. now he should be here
any moment.
I finished my work early so I will have a quite long
lunch time with him. Who would have thought that I
will enjoy his company? Before I avoided him like
plague whenever we have the misfortune to meet.
But now I am enjoying his company more than I
should have…
My desk phone rang. I frowned who might be it? But
then a slow smile fitted my lips. It must be Marco
and his new stunt. I picked up the receiver and said.
“Hello?”
“Signora Marcolini?” I frowned again when a
woman’s voice sounded on the other line.
“Yes,” I answered, as I straightened my sit in my
chair. “Who is this?”
“This is Signore Orsini’s personal assistant.” She said
in her no-nonsense voice. “He wished to inform you
that he has to cancel his appointment with you
today.”
Disappointment crept inside me. “Is that so?” I asked
amiably, hiding my regret over our cancelled lunch.
“Does he have a meeting?”
“Oh no, ma’am.”
I sulked if he doesn’t have an important meeting then
why he canceled our lunch last minute. “May I know
the reason why Mar—I mean, Signore Orsini call off
our appointment?”
There was a long paused in the other line that I
thought Marco’s secretary had hung-up on me
already. “Hello…? Are you still there?”
“I’m sorry, Signora.” The woman in the other line
answered. She’s clearly distress in discussing about
the reason of Marco’s last minute cancellation of our
lunch. “But I was under very strict orders not to tell
you about the reason even if you point gun in my
head.”
Despite the fact of my distress in the reason why he
withdrew to our date I couldn’t help but to smile at
his tyrant instructions to his assistant. Only Marco
will think I will point a gun to his secretary’s head to
get the information of his whereabouts. But he’s
mistaken I don’t have to do that. I can squeeze the
information I want without using drastic measure.
“Can you tell me the reason?” I asked in a pleasant
tone like talking to an old friend. “I promise not to tell
him that you told me.”
“But Signora…”
“Tell me, per favore.” I said in desperate tone. “What
happened to him? Is everything, all right?”
I heard his personal assistant sighed heavily. “He
threatened me Signora, that if I told you he will
throw in the dungeon of their family’s vineyard
without food and water.”
*
That just made me more interested in knowing what
was the reason why he can’t come to our lunch? “I
will defend you from him. I promise just tell me the
reason.”
“Signore Orsini…” His trusted secretary had started
after awhile. “…actually, he’s been out of the office as
of yesterday, ma’am. The Signore had been suffering
from severe fever.”
“What!” I nearly leaped out of my chair. “Why didn’t
he tell me?”
“I believed he doesn’t want you to worry about
him.”
“That’s ridiculous.” I muttered furiously. That man
he’s suffering from sickness and didn’t bother to tell
me. “Where is he right now?”
“He’s in his home, Signora.” The secretary informed
me. “Please, don’t tell him I told you the reason. He
will get back on me once he recuperates from his
illness. He’s quite scary when he’s mad.”
“Don’t worry,” I reassured him, standing from my
chair. “He can’t do that to you. I will see to it.”
“Thank you, Signora.” The relief in his secretary’s
voice was palpable before I hang up the phone. I
picked my bag and went of my office.
I rapped the door of his penthouse with my knuckle
hardly. D--n, this man. He’s really impossible—is he
eating and drinking his medicine in time? Is he alone
to take good care of his fever? Dio, how I want to
strangle him with my bare hands.
“Marco!” I said, tapping his heavy door loudly.
“Marco, I know you are there open the d--n door
now! Marco…!”
“Stop it, woman.” A shirtless Marco finally opened
the door he was only wearing his pajama bottom. I
could see that it took time for him to unlock his door.
“Do you want to take down my door?” His eyes
narrowed in my direction. “I see my assistant spilled
out everything when—”
“When you threatened her to throw the poor
woman in the dungeon in your grandparent’s
vineyard? How very kind employer you are, Marco.”
I supplied for him when I entered his home without
waiting for him to invite me in.
“What are you doing here?” He mumbled weakly.
“To check if you are still breathing.” I told him
sarcastically, throwing my bag unceremoniously in
the sofa nearby.
“I’m still breathing.” He replied with equal sardonic
manner. “Now get going. I don’t want you to get
infected with my virus, Francesca.”
“No.”
He scowled darkly in my direction. “Now, don’t be
stubborn, woman.”
I ignored his thundering looked and moved closer
where he’s standing half-naked. I placed my palm in
his forehead. He’s still feverish. “Do you eat and drink
your medicine in time?”
“Yes,” He said curtly, looking away from me. “I am
drinking my prescription but I don’t have appetite.”
I glared at him. “What did you ate since yesterday?”
“Instant noodles.”
I sighed deeply and looked at him helplessly. If it
wasn’t for his assistant I have no idea that he’s sick.
“Come let me take you to bed.”
A slow mirthless smile fitted his sexy mouth. “Why,
il mio amore? That’s the best thing I heard of you in
ages. Come let’s go to bed together.”
*
“Behave.” I warned him with a stern glare. “Or I will
crash that priceless vase in your head.”
“Merciless woman.” He muttered to himself while I
help him to his room. Once we arrived at his
bedroom it noticed that it was typical bachelor’s
room with black and white motif.
I tucked him to bed and pulled up the bed sheets to
his waist. I was about to go out of his room when I
heard him again. “Francesca, come back to bed. It’s
so lonely here.”
“Shut up.” I told him with a smile. “I’ll cook
something for you.”
I invaded his kitchen and look for ingredients in his
huge fridge. Wow, it stack of everything his
housekeeper must adored him so much. It’s
complete of everything. I decided to make chicken
soup for Marco. I pulled out the ingredients in the
refrigerator and place them in the granite kitchen
countertop. I sliced diced and boiled when
everything is in order in the kitchen I went back to
his room and check him he fell asleep.
I tiptoed in his room and went to the living room to
watch movie in his plasma TV while cooking the
chicken soup. Once in a while I went to the kitchen to
stir the pot of soup while watching his collection of
James Bond movies.
“Smells good.”
I nearly jumped in my place when someone
breathed behind my neck. “Marco! You scared the
hell out of me.”
“What’s this?” He asked while he placed his hands
between the countertop trapping me in my place.
“Chicken soup.” I said a little breathlessly, my heart
was galloping in my chest right now. “My
grandmother’s recipe.”
“It’s not cook yet. Let’s go to the living room.” He
pulled me out of the kitchen and led to me to the
living room. I sat in the sofa as I resume watching
the movie. Marco surprised me when I laid his head
in my lap. “This feels nice.”
“You should be in bed, Marco.” I told him, preventing
myself from touching his silky hair.
“I’m fine here.” He murmured softy as his eyes drift
to shut. “It so nice to sleep in your lap, my love.”
We spent our day together in his penthouse
watching James Bond movie marathon. His fever
had gone down now but he kept his head in my lap
as we watched. By 10 p.m. I am preparing to leave
him but he stopped me.
“Please stay.” He said when I was about to grabbed
my bag in the sofa.
“Marco…”
“I don’t want to be alone tonight.” He said with
solemnly in his eyes. “I promise I will not touch you
—unless you want it.”
“I can’t, Marco.”
“Why?” He said stalking towards me. I instantly
move back until I was cornered in the door. “Are
you scared, Francesca?”
“No.” I looked away from his burning gazed. “I’m
not.”
“We’ve dancing this issue around for awhile now,
Francesca.” He said dangerously soft. He’s too closed
to me. I could feel his hot breath. “I think it’s time for
us to have talked matters of the heart.”
“Marco—”
“Do you love me, Francesca?” He fired the question
to me unexpectedly. I don’t know how to answer.
“Do you feel the same way for me?”
“I—”
“I guess not.” He said moving away from me. “You
do not love me like I love you, Francesca.”
*
What? Wait, what is he saying? I didn’t think twice
and blurted my heart’s content. “I fell in love with
you. I don’t know how. I don’t know when. I just
did.”
The look in his face is the sight I will keep to my
memory forever. “Really, Francesca?” He moved
back where I was standing. “Say it.” He urged. “Say
it. I want to hear what it sounds like.”
I took a deep breath. “I love you, Marco.”
“I love you more, darling.” He answered while
kissing my forehead. “As much as I want to kiss
your lips—I can’t. I don’t want you get the virus.”
“You are crazy.” I shook my head in amusement.
“And you’re like a woman who has monthly period
today.” He retorted back playfully. “So prickly
woman.”
Monthly period… Oh goodness, when was the last
time I have my period. But before I could deal with it
he scooped me in his arms and went to his
bedroom.
The following morning I tiptoe from his bed and left
his penthouse silently with a sole mission. I want to
confirm if my suspicion was correct—if yes? I shook
my head praying earnestly I certainly hope not.
Before I went home I went to the pharmacy and
bought a pregnancy home test. My nerves were
shaking badly as I stood in my bathroom debating if
I shall continue this. But I want to be sure. I am
suffering from slight nausea and loss of appetite
since last week.
I took a deep breath and face my fears. I peed at the
white rectangular thing and waited for the longest
three minutes of my life.
I stared at the pregnancy test kit and my world tilt
upside down.
Two blue lines…
“Marco Orsini you are dead to me.” I muttered to
myself as I stared at the two clear lines.

To be continued

No comments: