Tuesday 5 July 2016

THE BRIDE CHAPTER 4

THE BRIDE
Chapter 4

When your friends begin to flatter you on
how young you look, it’s a sure sign you’re
getting old.
-Mark Twain
Francesca Marcolini’s POV
I don’t know if I should feel happy or not.
The fact that Marco Orsini, indeed, donated
half a million euro to the charity should
make me feel ecstatic about it such
generous contribution but there’s a catch.
In exchanged of that charitable donation I
got myself tangled with the likes of him. In
short I am now officially worked for him—
temporarily, thank God.
I sighed deeply. That’s right, in bartered for
that money I am now forced to work for
him—that is, to find him a suitable bride
that the formidable Alfonso Orsini might
approve. So far I have now a few lists of
candidates that might fit to be the Orsini
bride.
The contract I asked him yesterday finally
arrived at my office awhile ago. I need that
contract so he can’t harass me whenever he
wanted. I will use it against him if
necessary…
“…Francesca? Are you listening, Francesca?”
I was reluctantly dragged away from my
reverie. I smiled at the pair of uncanny
violet-eyes that were busy studying me with
concern with their depth. “Of course. I’m
listening, dear.”
“No. You’re not.” Tatiana Cavelli
contradicted with a twitched of smile on
her lips. “You seemed miles away from me,
Francesca. You don’t even touch your food
yet.”
Now I felt guilty. She invited me for a lunch
at a trendy restaurant here in Rome. Really, I
should be focusing on my good friend not
entertaining wayward thoughts about my
new association with the arrogant Marco
Orsini.
“What’s wrong?” She asked. Concern
marked on her eyebrows. “Are you okay,
Francesca?”
I laughed off her anxiety. “I’m fine, silly. It’s
just a have a new project that’s all.”
“Oh, really?” Sparks of delight flashed on
her violet-eyes. “Now I understand why
you’re not listening to me as I babble here.”
I smiled sheepishly on her direction. “What
were you saying, Tatiana?”
“I said you need to clear your schedule on
the 28th.” She repeated, as she sample the
food she ordered. “Lucca and I will be mad
at you if you didn’t show up on our church
wedding.”
“28th?” I frowned and think if I have a plan
on that day. “Isn’t that two weeks from
now?”
“Yes!”
“What’s the rush?” I asked and start
sampling my food.
Tatiana gave me a rueful smile as she
pointed her slightly rounded belly. “For one
thing, I don’t want to walk down the aisle
with my belly as big as a huge watermelon
and secondly, as days passed by the more
the wedding preparation goes out of
hands.”
I frowned at her. “What do you mean,
Tatiana?”
The duchess sighed. “Lucca and I originally
thought of inviting only at least two
hundred guests for our church wedding
but…”
“But?”
She flashed me a slightly forced smile on
her face. “Apparently, when the cream of
Italian society learned that the duke will
have his renewal of vows to his bride in a
church wedding the people we didn’t invite
started sending mails in Palazzo di Cavelli
asking for wedding invitation.”
I couldn’t help but to laugh. I know I
shouldn’t have but the society was quite
funny really. “They don’t want to miss the
wedding of the decade, I guess.”
#
“That’s must be it.” Tatiana murmured as
she continued to eat her food heartily.
“That’s why I talked to Lucca yesterday that
I want the wedding to be in two weeks in
time.”
“What did you husband said?”
A scowled form in her aristocratic face as
she probably remembered what her
husband had replied. “He told me that we
can’t do that. There are so many things to
be done.” She recalled the conversation. “I
told him I will not marry him again if the
wedding doesn’t take place on the 28th of
the month.”
I laughed at again. Lucca can’t do anything
but to succumb to his wife’s demand. The
wallflower I met months ago in Amalfi Coast
was nowhere to be seen on Tatiana. She
emerged as a feisty woman who stood up
for what she believes and I am so proud of
her.
“I take that Lucca just gave in?”
Tatiana grinned. “Oh yes.”
But then the smile on her face vanished, her
pretty eyes held anxiety. It made me worry.
“What is it, Tatiana?”
She gave me a slightly force smile while
nervousness still in her eyes. She swallowed
hard. “Mama—I mean, my stepmother, I-I
send her invitation to the wedding.”
My heart ached for my dear friend. I know
this is the first time facing her mother again
as Tatiana after her planned of revenge on
her ex-fiancé and stepsister. And now she’s
now happily married with the duke and
expecting their twins.
“Are you worried, dear?” I asked, holding
her hand that was rested on the table to
give her support.
“Petrified, more accurately.”
I gave her a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry,
Tatiana. I will be there for you and Lucca, of
course.”
She smiled that quite didn’t reach her eyes.
“I know.”
“You must—” I stopped when I heard my
phone rang. I fished it out of my handbag
and frowned at the unknown number.
“Excuse me, Tatiana.” I said before
answering the phone call. “Hello?”
The all-too-familiar annoying voice of a man
sounded on the other line. “Good
afternoon, Francesca!”
“Signore.”
“Oh, the warm greeting awhile ago
instantly replaced by your signature
coldness.” Marco Orsini drawled
maddeningly.
“What do you want?” I cursed silently when
Tatiana frowned slightly in my direction
when she heard my snappy tone.
“You told my secretary this morning that
you already have the list of my potential
bride while I was on the board meeting.”
I already forgot about that. “Er, yes. Sorry I
forgot.”
“Are you free for lunch?” Marco Orsini
inquired. “So I can see the list?”
“Lunch? Now?” I asked while looking at my
friend. Tatiana who instantly picked up my
dilemma mouthed ‘its okay you should go’.
“Yeah, sure.”
“Great, I’ll be waiting you at the restaurant
near my office.”
“Yes. I know that place.” I murmured
grudgingly as I ended the phone
conversation silently wondering where the
heck he got my mobile number.
“New client?” Tatiana asked playfully. “A
demanding one?”
I sighed deeply as I placed back my phone
in my handbag. “You could say that.”
“You should go.” Tatiana smiled at me, her
eyes twinkled with delight.
#
“I’m really, really sorry, dear.” I said to her
regretfully. “I will make it up to you next
time. I will treat you lunch again.”
I was about to get cash from my wallet
when the duchess stopped me. “No. My
treat.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes.”
I smiled. “Thank you.” I stood from my
chair. “I should go now, Tatiana.”
“Don’t forget at the to be at our wedding.”
My good friend called after me.
As I walked towards the exit of the small
bistro I prepared myself for another
gruesome encounter with the arrogant
Marco Orsini.
Marco Orsini’s POV
“Stop mentally undressing me, Signore.”
The icy reprimand came no other than the
ice queen of Italy as she busily reading the
menu. We were about to have a lunch
meeting in the one of the hottest restaurant
it town.
“Would you mind me undressing you the
other way around?”
The glare she’d sent me was enough to kill
an average man in an instant. “The contract
stated—”
“The contract doesn’t state that I cannot
mentally undress you, Francesca.” I lifted an
eyebrow. “Did you read the contract
carefully, Your Serene Highness?”
I fought back my laughed when red stain
spread through her cheeks. How charming
she’s blushing! “You are despicable.” She
hissed. “You are—”
“Are you ready to order?” I intercept her
casually as I eyed the hovering waiter
beside our table silently listening to our
verbal exchange.
We gave our order to the waiter and once
we were left alone she’s still glaring at me
insolently. Does she know how lovely she is
when she fumingly mad at me?
“Listen to me—” She started to threat.
“Do you have the list, Francesca?” I forced
myself not to laugh out loud as I saw her
mouth gape to open with astonishment.
“Yes…” She answered when she finally
recovered from her shock. She pulled out a
neat folder and gave it to me.
“Read for me.” I instructed.
The glared in her pretty amber eyes was
back with vengeance but she does my
bidding anyways. “Isabella Tolle.”
I frowned upon hearing that name. “She’s a
spoiled heiress who thought the world
would spin according to her will.”
Francesca fished out her pen and cross out
the name. “Adrianna Vinadacci.”
“That woman was so boring I met her at a
party once.”
“Chiara Androletti.”
“I don’t like her father.”
“Donatella Constanzo.”
“I don’t like her name.”
“For god’s sake!” Francesca snapped.
“That’s not ever her fault.”
“I don’t like my wife’s name closed to reptile
mutant ninja in a certain movie.”
Francesca sighed deeply and continued.
“Marietta Ferrara.”
I scowled as I think over what I don’t like
about her when I didn’t answer Francesca
smiled satisfactorily. “Great, I think she
made the cut over your highly rate criteria,
Signore.”

“When do you plan for us to meet?” I said
with a forbidding grimaced in my face.
“To the wedding of the decade, of course.”
She answered sweetly, as if she’s so eager
to get rid of me. “To Lucca and Tatiana’s
church wedding two weeks from today.”
Not so fast, my dear. A devious voiced
inside my head had whispered.
*
To be continued

No comments: