Wednesday 6 July 2016

THE BRIDE CHAPTER 23

THE BRIDE
Chapter 23

A good breeder or experienced rescue agency wants
you to prove that you’ll be a capable caretaker. The
interrogation and screening can be annoying, but it’s
also a sign that you’re on the right track.
-Jon Katz
Francesca Marcolini’s POV
I stared at Marco’s father who was looking at me
expectantly.
You are the only woman Marco ever introduces to
me. So I am sure you are pretty special for my son,
he said. What was I supposed to say in that kind of
thing? I know that I am a teacher of etiquette but it
was entire different when the person who asked you
was part of the Orsini clan.
So I don for the most serene smile I could
summoned. “I think you got it wrong, sir.”
“Wrong?” He repeated with a quite smile of his eyes.
He was the mirror image of Marco. “I think I got it
right, Signorina Francesca—may I call you
Francesca?”
“Of course, sir.”
“Drink, Francesca.” Alessandro Orsini invited pushing
the glass wine towards me. “It’s one of the best from
the Orsini wine.”
I smiled at the elderly man. “I hope you don’t find it
rude but I want to stay sane at this interrogation, sir.”
“Interrogation?” He said with a roar of laughter. “This
is not interrogation, my dear. I want to get to know
the first woman my son bothered to introduce to his
father.”
I could feel the heat spreading through my face. I
don’t know what insane idea had possessed Marco
brought me here to meet his father without warning.
“So tell me about yourself, Francesca.”
I shrugged, looking away from his intense gazed.
“There’s nothing interesting about me, sir.”
“I disagree.” Marco’s father said cheerfully, sipping
his red wine. “You must guessed by now that I am
quite curious about you. I never saw my son cook
for a woman before let alone brought her here to my
place this is the first time.”
“Just coincidental, sir.” I murmured dirking the
offered wine to calm my nerves. Marco where are
you? Help me here with your father. “We were just
nearby when he told me that he’s hungry.”
“Is that so?” The elderly man said casually, pouring
my glass again. But I could see in his eyes that he did
not believe what I am telling him. “Forgive me for
my misconception, Francesca. It’s just I never seen
my son so happy like this before. He looks…
contended.”
“Are you saying that—we, Marco and I…?” I inquired,
looking at his father. “…oh, we are not…if that’s your
implying, sir.”
“No? Forgive me then, I just assume.”
Alessandro Orsini’s tone was pleasant but I could feel
something that I could not pinpoint yet. “Nothing is
forgive, sir.”
I heard Marco’s father sighed and broke into a
dazzling smile. “Shall we start again, Francesca? Tell
me about yourself. Please, consider you just met a
new friend.”
“Francesca Marcolini, sir.” I gave in for the
interrogation of Marco’s father. “Twenty-eight.
Widow. I am a private teacher for etiquette currently
working for Marco Orsini.”
Alessandro Orsini laughed heartily, raising his glass
of red wine for salute. “You are a clever woman. No
wonder my son likes you.”
“I’ll take that as a complement, sir.”
*
With sparks still ignite in his dark eyes. Alessandro
Orsini asked me offhandedly. “Have you any chance
met Marco’s grandparents?”
I couldn’t help but to smile when I remember the
charming grandparents of Marco. “Yes, sir. I have
met them before. Marco brought me to the Orsini
vineyard twice.”
The elderly man looked at me with guarded stare.
“How can you describe them?”
I frowned and thought for a moment before
answering him. How can I describe the formidable
Alfonso Orsini and his wife Claudia Orsini? “They are
delightful people, sir.”
Alessandro nodded, sipping his wine slowly. “You
must be very careful with them. Francesca.” He
warned cheerfully. “Those two were renowned for
being sly and manipulative. Before you know it you
are playing with their matchmaking plan.”
I smiled awkwardly. “I don’t think I understand you,
sir.”
“Oh, don’t mind me.” He announced, waving his
hand as if that wasn’t important.
“Marco has your humor, sir.” I told him with a smile.
“Are you trying to charm the lady with me, father?”
Marco said coming out of the kitchen door with
plates on both of his hands.
“Are you jealous, figlio?” His father retort gamely,
winking in my direction. “I have a nice chat with this
lovely lady.”
Marco grimaced as he placed the plates in the table in
front of me. “May I remind you that you are too old
for Francesca? Besides, you are now happily married
with little Brianna in your life.”
“His jealous, isn’t he?” Alessandro asked me with
grinned. “I don’t think this day will come when he
will be jealous over a woman.”
I blushed and look away. If I didn’t know better I
assume I am shy. “I am not jealous, father.” Marco
replied hotly.
“Papa!” The little girl strode the garden happily and
climbed to their father’s lap. “Papa, you promised to
have tea party with me. Leave Marco eat with his
girlfriend mama said.”
“Si,” Alessandro laughed scooping his daughter in his
arms. “We will leave your brother and his guest.” He
stared at me. “Please take good care of my son. I
know he’s too much to manage.”
“I will, sir.”
They are about to enter the kitchen again when the
little girl look back at me. “You are pretty!”
“Thanks.” I smiled back at her. She’s such a cute little
girl. “But you are prettier.”
Once we are alone at the garden. Marco took the
chair his father had vacated and asked. “What did
you and father talked about?”
I shrugged resuming my seat. “Among other
things.”
“Such as?”
I grinned at his frowning gazed. I am right he looks
like his father. When he grows old he will be still a
handsome man.
“Why do you care?” I asked with grinned in my face.
“Because it concerns me.”
I laughed, looking at the dish he prepared. I have to
admit that he’s quite a good cook a trait he must
inherited with his father. “Wow, it looks like
delicious.”
“Don’t change the subject, Francesca.”
I raised an eyebrow to his direction as I picked my
fork to sample the pasta. “I am not changing the
subject—that’s your specialty not mine. And rest
assured it’s not about you.”
*
He looked at for like an eternity. I thought for a
moment he will argue with me more about his
father’s interrogation. He just sighed and pick up his
fork. “Eat.”
I merrily sample the pasty in front of me. I nearly
melt with the taste. Oh my God, it’s so good. “Did
you really cook this?” I asked I want to be sure.
“Of course,” He said somewhat crossly about my
question, digging his food harshly.
“Don’t you like it?” I asked eyeing how he dug his
food. “If you don’t want it, I will eat that too, Marco.”
“I’m glad you like it.” Marco gave one of those
infamous heart-stopping smiles. I shook my head in
resignation. Really, no wonder women jump to his
bed easily.
“It’s hard to believe that you could cook. I don’t see
as the type of man who cooks.”
He grimaced in my direction as he sat back to his
chair and studied me intently. “Are you belittling me,
darling?”
I tried to look serious but twitched of smile escaping
my lips. “No way. I will never mock the great Marco
Orsini.”
His eyes darkened. I shivered. “Now you are
mocking me, Your Highness.”
I laughed at this easy banter we had. Before we
couldn’t wait to sling arrow to each other in every
occasion we met in the society. I like this
uncomplicated relationship between us. “I guess that
you inherited this skill to your father.”
“Yes, that must be it.” Marco reflected sipping his
wine.
I glared at him. “At least you could told me that we
were about to meet your father so a woman can be
prepared.” When he remained silent I commented. “I
wonder why your father is not the chairman of the
Orsini Industries.”
Marco smiled at me that made my heat to jolt. “He
doesn’t want it. All he wants is to build a restaurant
of his own. Since I was in college he’d been very
vocal that he doesn’t want to manage the Orsini
Industries.”
“What did your grandfather said about it?”
Marco shrugged while he sipped his wine. He gave
me a piercing stare. “At first, he’s furious but then he
gave away. He knew about my father’s true
passion.”
“That must been hard for grandfather to have your
heir refused your legacy.” I remarked, eating my
delicious pasta. “How old are you when you took
over the company?”
He gave a self-mocking grinned. “Just after college
the huge responsibility passed on my shoulder.
Thousands of employees depend on me.”
Such a huge duty for him at the young age, I never
thought that he had this kind of story. I always
thought that he’s just a womanizing devil who took
for granted everything life has to offer.
“You must really love your father.”
“I do.” He replied without heartbeat. “That’s why I
am so happy that he remarried again after his
divorce with my mother.”
I unconsciously touched his hand that was rested on
the table. “Your father wants you to be happy. You
should get married and start a family of your own.”
“Yes.” He breathed, looking deeply straight to my
eyes. “I will marry…” He said with such conviction.
And my heart gave a painful thud at his words. “…
soon. When the woman is finally ready to share her
life with me.”
Does he already have his potential bride and he’s
going to marry her soon? When that day arrived I
don’t think I can continue this friendship with him. I
don’t think I can bear to see him happily married
with someone else. I’d rather died than to see that
day.
“Enough of this serious subject.” Marco said happily.
He was back with his laid-back attitude. “Let’s talked
about something else.”
And that’s how we spend out afternoon at his
father’s restaurant. When he finally pulled in front of
my penthouse. We were both standing in front of
the building.
“Aren’t you going to invite me in?” He asked
playfully, evil grinned flashed in his dark eyes.
“No.” I replied with a smile.
“Like I thought.” He said, sliding his arms to my
waist and drew me closer to his hard body. “Just
give me a kiss to compensate the promising
adventure in your bedroom, my love.”
I shook my head in disbelief. “You are incorrigible…”
Before I could finished my sentence his lips dipped to
mine and  kissed him heatedly. He kissed like his
trying to own my mouth. I melted at his embrace.
“Goodbye for now, my Francesca.” He said a little
breathlessly once he was finished kissing me in the
middle of the street.
I only managed to nod as he slid to his car. He
waved at me before he left. After his car vanished in
the lane I touch my thoroughly kissed mouth. Then I
realized that I am in danger of losing far more
valuable than my virginity to Marco Orsini.
Do I have the strength to stop myself from falling in
love with him?

To be continued

No comments: